Sunday, April 26, 2009

Drill Baby Drill







I'm pretty psyched. I started this ELF vanity kit a few months ago, and assembled it mostly over the course of two days, setting up the main body, then installing the doors. Then I got stuck - I didn't have a miniature drill for drilling the faucet and handle holes. A miniature tool kit I purchased from HBS had a pin vise - but the drill bits were far too small. I almost went out and purchased a whole set of drill bits, but common sense prevailed and I sent an email off to ELF Miniatures for some guidance. After some very helpful tips from Elizabeth LePla (thank you again, Elizabeth!), I set off to the hardware store armed with drill bit measurements. Luckily, I took a sidetrip to visit my niece and nephew on the way, and my brother, after asking what I was up to for the day, exclaimed: "Hey - I have a drill bit set, you can borrow mine!"

It's a good thing I did too, since I actually ended up using four different sizes to get the right holes drilled. Also, my fingers got caught in a minor skirmish with some crazy glue near the finish line, but the kit is finally done! I can't wait to use it in a scene - I haven't done a bathroom in the Kaleidoscope House yet - I've been waiting specifically for this vanity unit to be finished.

Overall, I had a great time putting it together. It wasn't too difficult - if you have mild crafting experience, I would say the kit ranks about a 4 or 5 out of 10 on the difficulty scale. I would have taken more "before" and "during" photos, but I . . . forgot. =P

Credits:

Vanity unit kit by ELF miniatures.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you posted this. I've wanted to try one of the Elf kits but was a little too intimidated by the woodworking. Your finished vanity looks so good you've inspired me. : )

    ReplyDelete